hello world!

How to Get Rid of Damp Smell at Home?

Have you ever been to a damp, musty room and noticed that smell? It’s difficult to miss, and it can be unpleasant. Fortunately, there are things you can do about this problem.

What is That Musty Smell?

Mould and mildew are types of fungi and there are 1000’s species in the world. Fungi have the ability to thrive in damp, dark places. They produce spores which are released into the air when disturbed. When airborne, these small spores can cause allergic reactions such as hay fever, asthma or even infection in people with weakened immune systems. It is also known that mould can cause some people to cough, wheeze or even suffer from respiratory problems.

Difference Between Mould and Mildew

Mould and mildew are both types of fungi, but there is a difference. While mould can grow on virtually any organic matter, mildews thrive only on plants such as grass or vegetables. Mildew is seen more commonly outdoors than indoors, but it can also happen inside homes if they have damp basements. Unlike mildews, moulds are able to grow on hard surfaces such as walls and floors in addition to plants.

How to get rid of the damp smell in Your Home?

It is quite simple, all you have to do is make your home more drying. Closets that are used to store towels and bedding should be kept dry, and places like basements MUST be properly ventilated. Keeping your home well ventilated will prevent things from smelling musty or mouldy in the first place.

The best thing to do is to keep a dehumidifier running in your house. Dehumidifiers help dry out the air, and they also remove excess moisture and other impurities from it. This can be especially helpful if you live in a damp area or if you have been out of town while your home was empty. Dehumidifiers can be purchased at most home improvement stores.

How Mould Affect Your Health?

Mould generally is not dangerous to people with healthy immune systems. However, the respiratory infections they can cause can be. The spores that mould and mildew produce are tiny and float through the air, causing allergies and possible infection to many people. Those with asthma or allergies may have an even bigger problem.

We suggest that you install a dehumidifier to get more air circulating in your house. You can also use a good quality disinfectant with bleach such as Lysol to clean up your basement and other areas with a musty odour. If you are allergic to mould, then it is best to avoid the area completely for a while or wear a mask.

Harry Virk

Harry Virk is the director of CleaningPro Auckland. He has years of experience in the cleaning industry and his company is expert at providing exceptional cleaning services in Auckland. He has a passion for helping people and making sure that their homes are clean, tidy, and ready for visitors.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

envelopephone-handsetmap-marker linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram