It is necessary to keep your home clean, hygienic and safe. However, there may be broken plumbing inside walls, poorly constructed pipes, or not enough air circulating which might cause ugly black mould to appear on the walls. While one might remove the cobwebs in the corners of the walls and ceilings, there is no easy way for removing these black spots or patches from your walls.
Black mould, or Stachybotrys chartarum, is a greenish-black mould that grows on materials containing cellulose such as wood fibreboard and fibre-cement. It is highly toxic and must only be handled, tested, and removed by a qualified professional. Mould can be found in damp houses and often appears as black, green or white. The most infamous type of mould is "black mould" which can grow on water-damaged building materials and produce toxins.
Firstly, before knowing how to safely remove black mould from your house, you would need to know what mould is. Mould or mildew forms when there is moisture in one part of the wall, which does not get enough ventilation. While installing electric dehumidifiers would be a great solution, one cannot do much after the wall has already become black and spotty.
Usually, these spots appear quite slowly and at places where one might not notice every day, but once mould arrives at the surface it definitely makes itself known. These spots do not go away with just sweeping or dusting because the problem lies deep beneath the surface, so they do not go away easily. They would come back quicker if the dusting is superficial.
Now that the walls have become ugly with mould or mildew patches, one can just aim to remove it by following a simple home remedy.
The process is very effective and pocket-friendly too. All that the homeowner has to do is mix the following chemicals: 1/2 cup bleach, 1 qt. water and a little detergent. The bleach in the cleaning mixture kills the mould, and the detergent helps lift it off the surface so you can rinse it away. You can also buy a mildew cleaner at hardware stores, paint stores and most home centres.
Wear protective masks, goggles, and a pair of rubber gloves before mixing the chemicals. After applying the solution to the affected part of the mouldy wall, allow it to soak for a minute or two and with a stiff handled brush and scrub the hell out of it. Leave it for some time, and after that, clean it away with a damp towel. This should remove the mould from the walls properly. Though in order to ensure that this mould or mildew does not come back again, one shall have to follow a few steps.
Mould removal products can be harmful, but white vinegar is a safe alternative. Add 1/2 cup of vinegar to one gallon of water and use a spray bottle to coat surfaces with the solution. The vinegar will kill the mould without harming your home’s wall.
Homeowners who do not have time to inspect all of these places should look into cleaning companies that offer flood restoration and mould remediation services. This should take care of removing this recurring problem of mildew or mould for good from your home.
Harry Virk is the director of CleaningPro Auckland. He has years of experience in the cleaning industry and his company is expert at providing exceptional cleaning services in Auckland. He has a passion for helping people and making sure that their homes are clean, tidy, and ready for visitors.